We are the Champions

Welcome to our blog...we hope our journey of faith encourages yours.

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Stable

I am going to use the words of my friend Rille again, she has done a wonderful job of summarizing what is going on.

The doctor today said Chris's daily chest x-ray had no change from yesterday and that the tear in the lung and collapse are corrected. Yesterday Chris had to have a chest tube put in due to a tear in the lung which was causing it to collapse. We take this all as good news. We will believe that even if the doctor can't see it, there is change going on as our God restores Chris. He said that Chris is not ready to come off of the ventilator, but they are keeping him in a state that is no longer paralyzed, just very sedated. He opens his eyes now and that is such a blessing to everyone. He can't talk with all of the tubes in his mouth leading down to various places, but he can communicate basic yes/no with a noise and a head move. Then he falls back to sleep, which is the best thing for him.

Emily reports that she slept very little as he woke up frequently in the night and so she talked to him instead of sleeping. To be honest, just seeing him peaceful and vitals improved is a relief and a miracle in its self. His resting heart rate had been anywhere from 120-160 for almost 3 weeks now hovers around 90! His fever is now completely gone. There are still lots of issues, but we remain hopeful. Everyone is pretty tired, but the mood here today seems peaceful. We just continue to put our trust in our God. He has it all in His hands.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Dawn,
Thank you keeping us up to date on Chris's condition. I am constantly checking in to see if he has improved and what is going on at the hospital. We are still very much thinking of you all and praying constantly. I hope you are trying to rest when you can and that Jesus is helping you sleep a little bit. I will pray for you to have supernatural strength and energy. I am so very happy to hear that Chris is peaceful, not struggling to breath and that he is communicating with his eyes and heart. What an awesome blessing for you and the family. I must say that God has kept you all in the forefront of my mind and heart and I am using this time to pray like never before. Tell Rille thank you for writing such sweet and thoughtful notes to us all. You are blessed to have her as your friend. I am sure you are very well aware of that.
Love you lots, Romans 15:13
Lori

Anonymous said...

Hi Dawn,

I am constantly amazed at how God has used your family to bring glory to His name. Just reading through your blog has been such an encouragement. Seeing how God is sustaining, strengthening, and providing for you, Chris, Emily, and everyone else helps to cement my faith. We've been praying for you all that God will Himself restore you and make you strong, firm, and steadfast (1Peter5:10-11). I know you are well aware of the many people who love you and pray for you daily. I can honestly say that your family has taught me what it means to suffer with our brothers and sisters and to be united in love. I sometimes get discouraged and sad as I think about all the pain that you all have endured, but you remind me of the great hope we have in Jesus. I pray that His peace would continue to permeate each of you and I pray Chris could start breathing on his own soon.

Love,
Rosa

Nabiha said...

Hi Dawn,

My name's Nabiha Islam and I'm a really old classmate of Chris's from ASD (he probably doesn't remember me). He was in my math class with Mrs. Bradley in Grade 8. I remember him so well because he has such a brilliant mind and I remember thinking, 'I can't believe this kid who's a grade younger than me is in my math class and doing a million times better than all the rest of us!' It might sound kind of creepy, but I've been following your blog pretty regularly and I sincerely hope and pray for the best for Chris's recovery. I'm a 3rd year Nursing student in Canada and I've seen many families go through what yours has, but never with so much grace and courage.

Unknown said...

Hi Dawn

Greetings from the UK again! Great news on your side. I'm so glad that things are getting better. I cant believe how long this has been going for but I know God is watching over you all and still just healing Chris in His own way.
God's strength be with you and His hand guide you all!

much love!
Cindy

Patrick N. Lewis said...

To the Champions:
I was a band-mate of Chris' for four years. He's one of the most genuine people I've ever met. Even though it'll be two years tomorrow since we've graduated, I think we've all grown more than what years would show. Just last month, I lost my Dad due to a heart attack. He was only 59 and taught me a lot more than I once realized. In the past two months, my faith has been shaky to say the least. I try to understand that God works in mysterious ways, but the human part of me can't help but ask why?? I haven't spoken to Chris in a long time, but I think about him quite often. In my graduation speech I used him as an example of Strength. Then, not more than an hour later, he WALKED across the stage as we stood in awe and respect. Its hard for me to grasp why this would happen to a guy of Chris' character, but he's taught me an awful lot. My thoughts and prayers are with the Champions and of course, Chris. You'll persevere Chris, like Champions always do.

-Patrick Lewis