We are the Champions

Welcome to our blog...we hope our journey of faith encourages yours.

Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Joy mixed with sadness

Yesterday was the memorial honoring John's life. It was a day of joy truly mixed with great sadness. Two totally opposing emotions, yet somehow it was exactly what our family felt. The service was truly a reflection of what John wanted and who he was. We began with some wonderful worship, which John loved doing, although for many maybe long, I know John was totally enjoying it from his heavenly vantage point. John's dad shared and it really touched our hearts. He of course loved his son dearly, but what I think blessed him was the full sanctuary of people who also admired and loved his son. That really spoke to his heart.

Our pastor from The Way shared a message and personally I thought it could not have been better. John's heart and desire was that his life would point to his Lord, and the message was all about why John was who he was, because of his great faith. Several people came up to share what John had ment to them, it gave us joy to hear how John was the same person at work as he was at home. Such kind things were said about him, it just made us prouder of the man he was here on earth. We ended with a couple of John's favorite worship songs, truly an anointed time.

When I looked up, three hours had passed. I must say I was shocked. The time had just flown by. Many people stayed and enjoyed a wonderful meal. Although for me the day ended one phase of my life and it was very sad, it was also a day of joy as I saw how much people admired, respected and love John. How his life had made an impact on the lives of others. Isn't that what we all hope - that our life has meaning. John, I know would have been totally surprised, he often struggled with not being able to openly share his faith, especially in a leadership role at work, but he did not have to, his life was a reflection of the God he had surrendered his life to.

If you came and I did not get a chance to meet and say thank you for coming, please know our family was so blessed by each and every person and we thank you for being a part of honoring John.

5 comments:

grace cabalka said...

It was truly a day that honored John and glorified our Lord. We are continually praying for you Champions. We love you and thank you for letting us walk this path with you from a distance.
the Cabalkas

Anonymous said...

It was a honor to be there. John was someone so many were proud of.
Love and Hugs
Amy

Kim Safina said...

The Journey Continues ~

Our Prayers and Hearts were with you on the glorious Day of sharing memories of your loving husband.

Michael misses Chris so much!
Cal Poly Apartment is quiet without him. Mike has been trying to study and do his exams but feels pulled. He was sad that he had an exam on the day of the memorial service.

Please tell Chris that we are thinking of him and your entire family!

You are loved and appreciated by so many!
With "Heaven Bound" blessings,
Kim Safina
http://www.kimsafinathejourneycontinues.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Dear Champions,

I just checked your blog today and my heart breaks. Know that you're in my prayers.

John's friendship and influence in my life remains one of the most significant memories of my year in Bakersfield. I still remember being so excited every week to get to talk to him at Bible Study. His friendship, his example of a Godly man, and his excitement for Jesus spurred me on during a really difficult year. He showed me about loving life and one of my best memories is the hikes we used to go on as a church with Dan and Chris.

I'm praying for you. Praying that the Father would truly be the Father of all comfort. That he would fulfill his promises of being a God that cares for the brokenhearted. May He be the God that walk with you through this valley, darkened with the shadow of John's home-going. An incredible man, father, and husband.

I'm so glad to hear about the memorial yesterday - to see so many people that God changed and impacted through the faithful life of John. It's a number among whom I'm counted and forever grateful, for John's love for the Lord, for I am forever different because of his life.

Praying for you all,
Daniel

Anonymous said...

To the Champions: I want to apologize for not making John's memorial service, and for the tardiness of this message. John was such a good person. He touched me deeply the last time I saw him. I've also had the privilege of meeting his son, who is such a wonderful young man and reminds me so much of John. I still think of John frequently, and like you, miss him greatly. Bill Albrecht, President, Oxy USA.